Our political system is broken and our country is in trouble! The two political parties are so polarized that Washington is paralyzed. Our elected officials continue a vicious cycle of mindless partisanship, inaction on crucial issues and unsustainable dysfunction covered endlessly in the 24-hour news cycle.
Now is the time for leadership that puts principled progress above petty politics and restores cooperation, civility, and compromise. Leadership for genuine and sustainable change can only come from the people.
In 2012, Americans Elect (AE) will empower the people to nominate a competitive third ticket for President and Vice President through the first-ever Online Convention. In the next presidential election, through AE Online Convention, ALL of US will have a greater voice; not just the voters in the early state primaries and caucuses, like Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina; not the talking heads or the paid “experts”; not the political pundits – Fox News or MSNBC; not the loud voices on the far left and far right.
The nominees who emerge from the Convention will not be beholden to any political party or special interest, will bridge the vital center of American politics, and will be able to jolt our political system into working again.
What Is Americans Elect?
Americans Elect (AE)
Americans Elect is a second process, not a third party. It is a brand new way all voters can participate in selecting a presidential ticket to be placed on the November 2012 ballot in all 50 states. It will hold a nominating convention to pick that ticket in the summer of 2012, and every registered voter in America regardless of party may sign up right now to be a voting Delegate (at http://www.AmericansElect.org). Anyone constitutionally qualified to serve as President may run for the Americans Elect nomination as long as they reach across the political space and pick a running mate from another party. A ticket that is bigger than any party.
We expect millions of delegates to participate. The ticket will have ballot access in all 50 states. And we expect major candidates to run and others to be drafted by the delegates themselves. We are going to be working hard to get ourselves introduced to the American public but we know that we cannot do it alone. Our hope is that millions of Americans across the country will be able to hear about Americans Elect from their most trusted sources: friends, families, and neighbors. And that starts with you.
Cartoon by Gary Markstein
How Does This Second Process Work?
Every single registered voter in America can be a Delegate and vote in the AE Online Convention.
No fine print. No exceptions. Open to everyone regardless of party affiliation or political views.
1. Become a Delegate. Go to AE website – http://www.americanselect.org.
2. Participate in AE’s online surveys. Delegates will define the issues most important to them.
3. Discuss these issues online or at meet-ups with other delegates.
4. Participate in shaping the AE platform questions for all constitutionally qualified candidates to answer.
5. Review candidates.
6. Draft candidates.
7. Narrow the field of candidates.
8. Vote in the Online Convention.
A Rules Committee will determine how the Online Convention operates. Of course, experienced legal experts will be on the committee, but Convention Delegates will be on the Rules Committee, too. All AE Delegates will have a chance to weigh in with their own ideas – and the best will become a part of the rules.
What is Americans Elect?
A: The first direct presidential nomination.
• You decide the issues
• You shape the debate
• You choose the candidates
• You nominate the President
Who should participate?
A: Every voter who wants a voice that counts.
• No matter your party affiliation
• No matter the color of your state
• No matter your political views
What makes Americans Elect different?
A: Americans Elect is not a traditional party.
• It’s a new way to nominate a President
• It’s open to voters from any party
• It’s open to candidates from any party
And it’s not another advocacy group.
• There’s no agenda or ideology
• Voters define the issues themselves
• The final vote really counts in 2012
How does it work?
A: Define what matters to you
• Rank the issues
• Determine your views
• See how you compare
A: Shape the “platform of questions”
• Discuss the issues
• Match and meet up with other voters
• Decide the questions all candidates must answer
A: Choose candidates who share your views
• Match with existing candidates
• Draft new candidates
• Watch videos and debates
A: Nominate your choice for president
• Narrow the field
• Evaluate VP choices
• Vote in the online convention
Why is this important?
A: Every voter deserves an equal vote in the nominating process.
• Currently, where you live determines how much your primary vote counts
• Some voters—and some states—have no meaningful vote at all
• Most independent voters have no say in the primary system
• It’s the first direct presidential nomination in US history.
Why is this important?
A: Voters demand change.
• Voters are increasingly dissatisfied with their own parties
• States are postponing or even canceling their primaries
• Too many Americans have no real choice in the nominating process
• Technology makes it possible.
• To cost-effectively reach millions of voters
• To build a secure online convention
• To verify every voter and accurately count every vote
• America can finally nominate a President, directly.
The winning ticket will answer directly to American voters.
A: All candidates must make a “bipartisan pledge” to put America’s interests before those of their party finalist candidates will be free to choose a running mate from any party they choose The winning ticket will be chosen directly by millions of voters The winning ticket will be on the ballot in every state.
Can we trust the outcome?
A: Americans Elect is building a secure online convention:
• Every voter’s registration status will be verified.
• Every vote will be counted fairly and accurately, and will generate a printable confirmation.
• An independent panel of election experts will verify the results.
• All candidates will be verified and vetted.
• All candidates will be verified as constitutionally-eligible to run.
• All candidates will pass a standard vetting process including background checks.
• An independent, nonpartisan committee will certify all finalist candidates.
15 Things Everyone
Can Do To Help
1.Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@AmericansElect).
2. Post about us on Facebook, Twitter, Blog, or other social media platforms.
3. Email your family & friends about Americans Elect and let them know why you signed up. Be sure to encourage them to visit the website and sign up to be a delegate.
4. Visit the website and print out the Online Activist Kit. Read up about Americans Elect and check out the Frequently Asked Questions.
5. Print out the flyer available online and post around town. Be sure to ask permission from management if you are posting at a business or private property.
6. Identify events, conventions, or other opportunities in your community and e-mail the information to
7.Identify groups in your area that we could perhaps speak to or address. Please e-mail information to firstname.lastname@example.org
8.Comment on newspaper stories in your local paper. Link to the website to help get the word out.
9. Sign up for news feed for Americans Elect –be the first to read new articles and coverage.
10. Write a letter to the editor and submit to your local paper. Make sure to include our website where interested readers can contact us.
11.Attend and invite friends to any Meet-Ups or gatherings you have heard about.
12.Email us at email@example.com and find out if there is a petition for ballot access that you can sign.
13. Print out the sign up sheet from the website and get emails or phone numbers from any friends who would like more information. Sheets can be faxed to 760-476-9055
14.Get online and help us make history:https://secure.americanselect.org/give
15.Find us at http://getsatisfaction.com/americanselect and let us know any suggestions or questions you have or any ideas on how to make Americans Elect work for you!
Read Full Post »